Sunday, June 29, 2008

Drinking and Cycling

Well, I was going to be crafty and post pictures and witty comments with the occasional anecdote.

This trip has found Viet Nam's internet situation to be less than hospitable. I am moving down the coast though and making my way south, so more posting may be possible.

Also, I am lacking a camera cable, so are the other 5 people I am traveling with that own cameras. fuck.

I am in Hue, Viet Nam right now. It is in the middle of the country along the perfume river was the capital ages ago. It is a college town and definitely on the backpacker trail, but a nice break after an overnighter on the train to Dong Ha and two days in the DMZ.

Last night as the compadres and I made our way out of the Why Not bar, which we totally closed (the bar tenders were all falling asleep on the bar and getting mad at us), we helped them close up by carrying chairs and shit inside. Then some drunk cyclo (rickshaw driver) was trying to get us to ride with him. I told him he should let me drive his cyclo and that the bastard should pay me 50,000VND ($3ish) and he agreed, only he didnt get in, Carson did. I immedietly peddled away and zig zagged down the street with the boys and the Vietnamese dude in tow. I totally stole this guys rig which, by the way, was totally a fixxy and had no real brakes, there was some thing i could pull which was supposed to stop the back wheel but it didn't do shit. Not that breaks are necessary anyway, "who needs brakes when you can go faster?" right?

As we got close to the hotel I figured i could cut the bike really hard and use the rigid metal motorbike ramps to get over the curb and into the driveway.

crash.

not too hard, i stayed on the bike ok, Carson was jarred and proceeded to bitch about it the next day, but we hopped off the bike as the guys caught up.

the cyclo guy spattered in broken engrish, "You pay me naaaaaw, feeedee tousan dong." I said, "fuck that!" which i was later informed sounded more like "fuck thaaahhhh mumble mumble mumble." We all roared with laughter and entered the hotel and crashed for the night.

yay bicycles.

euro cup final tonight.

Why Not?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you that I crashed on my own bike two days ago. It was gnarly.